Monday, August 19, 2013

Garden Update and squash bug fury

Just a quick shot of my beautiful garden beds with plants abounding!

We've had some trouble with learning process' and soil, this summer, but I'll get into those later.


I grew my first squash this year. I love summer squash boiled and smashed with cream cheese.

LOVE IT.

I was able to harvest 5 beautiful large squash from two of my plants before the one on the west side of the bed just.... Died. Out of the blue with a half squash grown, it was shriveled and wilted overnight. OVERNIGHT! I kid you not. I have no idea what happened.

The second, east side squash plant was eventually overrun with squash bugs. Little pesky bitches. I fought the good fight, dutifully going out every evening and hunting those little fuckers down and squashing them and their eggs. Every. Day. So, needless to say when I found a cluster of squash bug eggs that I had missed, I threw a hissy fit/personal tantrum. Ugh they are the Bain of my existence.  

I really did my research this summer too. I asked every gardener I knew, what is the solution? I tried many things this summer, every suggestion I've heard. 
Including:

Cayenne pepper
Red chile powder
Diotomatious earth
Organic spray
Blending up and smearing their carcasses on the plant
Planting hot peppers around
Daily hunting

Nothing worked. 

At least once a week I found new babies. At least twice a month I found hatched eggs. Daily, I found adults and multiple egg clusters. The damn bugs were laying eggs on my green chile plants! Under the leaves and on the actual peppers! 

What. The. Fuck.

I hate these bugs. 

Any suggestions? 


No comments:

Post a Comment