Monday, February 8, 2016

Seedlings 2016!

 January! Is that time of year again to start the seedlings! I'm going to rock this garden this year. Last year was miserable because I was miserably pregnant. I burned and froze my seeds. :( Ah well. Always a new year. :)


The weather was warm enough that we were able to get out and prep the garden beds. We had one in particular that needed some attention. My dumb cat decided in its non use, she would use a vacant garden bed as her litter box. 😡
At the end of the season last year I scraped off the top two inches of dirt and all the poop and flooded the bed. Then I put bird netting over it and left it. This week we scraped another inch off the dirt and flooded it again, then layered our chicken coop waste, compost, and left over potting soil from our indoor garden on top. We then flooded it again. Hopefully that will take care of it. I intend on growing pumpkins in the bed this year that we will no be eating. Then we'll add more compost at the end of the season again. 
Stupid cat. 


The tomato and melon seeds popped up amazingly fast! And, as usual, I planted waaaayyyyy too many tomatoes. This picture above was after only 3 days. I think almost all the seeds I planted sprouted, so I had to thin and replant more than a dozen tomato seedlings!   

 Here they are! Very little from the rest of the seedlings. I think I'll be heading to the store to purchase some new seeds. :/ but so far, we are off to a great start! Yay gardening season! 😘

No comments:

Post a Comment