Saturday, March 16, 2013

Baby Cakes

My hubbys cousin is having her first baby. It's a girl!!!
Because I'm the crafty one in the family, I get suckered in to making the diaper cake. Don't get me wrong, I Looove making diaper cakes! But no one seems to grasp that it costs a lot of money for a good one. About $40 worth of diapers, and $20-40 worth of baby stuff to go on it. And I don't think it's worth my time to make a dinky one. If I'm going to make it, it's going to be awesome!

Well, it was awesome!! And worthy of my time and it's recipient. 


It's got rattles, a bottle with moms favorite candy inside, toy links, teethers, baby soap, baby spoons, shampoo, lotion, nipple cream, diaper cream (all sampler/travel size) socks, washcloths, mittens, and of course, diapers! Considering this cake was made with quality products, and cost close to $80 to make, I'd probably charge $120 for it, which is why I don't even advertise them. Very few will  pay that for a diaper cake. However, I was quite pleased with the end result. And so was mom to be!

But then I started thinking; it's a co-Ed shower! We can't leave dad out! And dad just so happens to be a pilot and co-owns a plane.
 The wheels began turning. 
He needs his own diaper cake, only, a diaper plane!! I wish I would have taken pictures in the process of making it, but I can't ever seem to remember to do that. But I followed a tutorial I found online....here;
 It was fairly simple, I of course tweaked a few things and added my own flare. Made of cardboard, baby blankets, a baby bottle, diapers (of course!)  and chocolate with liquor in them! Yum! 

I used my cricut to cut the propeller, which was actually a bio hazard cut out. 😂 


The baby bottle was full of the chocolate liquor and pushed through the front of the cardboard frame with the propeller hot glued on. The body, wings and back wing/tail were all cardboard wrapped with baby blankets. The wheels are made of diapers and the cockpit was full of them to create a seat for the stuffed monkey. 

Ta da!! 


I was very please with the turn out, and everyone loved it. Success!!! 

I also made baby a crocheted ice cream cone with a rattle inside, and mom a nursing shawl with this fabric...

But again, forgot to take a picture of the final product. 😕

Someday, maybe I'll get better at remembering. Until then, hope you enjoyed this little project of mine! Thank for taking a peak! 

No comments:

Post a Comment